BLE Managment is a service provided with the purchase of specific access points. It is a cloud-based solution, that allows you to provision these access points as beacons and also manage other beacons in your network. It works in conjunction with Cisco CMX and Cisco WLC that are deployed in the network. This article is a step-by-step guide that shows you how to setup the BLE Managment solution.
Getting a BLE Management Account
Purchase of one of the Cisco Access Points with integrated BLE automatically registers you on the BLE Management domain ble.cisco.com. You will receive an activation mail, that then allows you to configure your login credentials.
The supported access points with integrated BLE are as follows:
- Cisco Access Point 4800 supported with 8.7S Release,
- Cisco Access Point 1810 supported with 8.7 Release,
- Cisco Access Point 1815 supported with 8.7 Release,
- Cisco Access Point 1800i supported with 8.7 Release,
- Cisco Access Point 2900 supported with 8.8 Release,
- Cisco Access Point 1900 supported with 8.8 Release
- A Cisco WLC (Wireless LAN Controller) has been deployed in your network, and access points have been added to the Cisco WLC.
- A Cisco CMX device has been deployed and installed with release 10.5 or above, and is reachable from the cloud. See Connectivity to Cloud.
- Cisco WLC has been added to the Cisco CMX. You can verify this from your Cisco CMX dashboard. Navigate to Systems>Settings and scroll to the Controllers section. Refer to Adding Cisco WLC to Cisco CMX
- Cisco CMX contains maps imported from Cisco Prime. Refer to Adding Maps.
- For CMX Release 10.5, a special step is required. See Prerequisites for 10.5.
Configuring the connection between Cisco CMX and BLE management
- On the BLE Management dashboard, click to open the settings. Click to generate the Token. You can save the token on a notepad. Note that the Gateway Status is DOWN.
- On Cisco CMX, you can configure this token. Navigate to Manage>Cloud Apps. Scroll to the Cisco Beacon Management row, and click Enable. Paste the token (copied from the previous step) in the dialog box displayed.
- Verify if the connection between Cisco CMX and BLE Management has been established. On the BLE Management dashboard, you will notice that the Gateway Status is UP and Notification Status is UP.